Tuesday, January 29, 2019

I'm A Nut


I guess you could say I am child-like in many ways. I like children's music and children's movies as much as they do. Playing card games and board games are the joys of my life.

I am an impulsive person. Whatever catches my eye is where my interest will go. My mother said I was flighty.

I often told my children that I know it was a trial to have me as a mother because I tend to go off on a tangent at times. They assure me that they thought all mothers were like that.

Checkers and chess are fun games. My grandfather was a good checkers player. He and my mother showed us how to play. He explained that it was very important to keep the back line of checkers in place until you absolutely had to move them. I tried but it is difficult to keep them back when all my other checkers were being taken.

I really like chess. The planning and the different pieces moving different ways make it a game of logic. The problem with chess is that I will examine the board before making my next move. I will imagine a move and try to anticipate what my opponent's response will be and what eventual results will come from it. I look and study. I plan and observe.

Then out of the corner of my eye I see a move and grab the piece and move it. Usually it was a move I had already rejected. I made a stupid move and would end up losing the piece and eventually the game.

But there are times when I appreciate being impulsive. When my children were little and their father was on the road during the week we would often pack up and head for the park. There were trees to shelter us, a creek for wading, and plenty of room to run and play. We would cook on the grills placed strategically near picnic tables. Even though we lived at the edge of town and had a spacious yard the days at the park were fun for all of us.

I'm also well-known for driving along and suddenly spotting something I want to see. I stop and see it. I may have to take a detour and spend some extra time but it is usually worth it. I have found some interesting places to visit and fascinating things to see by doing this.

I encourage everyone to be impulsive once in a while. I do it too often but you might be amazed at the joys you will experience by doing something out of the ordinary once in a while.

As the song by Leroay Pullins says

I'm a Nut, I'm a Nut,
My life don't ever get in a rut
Well Hell, my shoulders are sore and loose
That I ain't got the sense God gave a goose
Now Lord I ain't crazy but, I'm a nut


And I like it!

11 comments:

  1. I agree with yiur asvice, Emma. I also have gone out of my way after spotting something interesting whike on a walk or a drive. I also enjoyed checkers in my childhood, but haven’t played a game in years and have never been a chess player, but did enjiy backgammon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never played backgammon. It is one of the few games I did not learn.

      Delete
  2. I call it being spontaneous. Our 12 yr. old gr-daughter is spontaneous, and I call her a 'butterfly'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butterfly is much nicer than being called a flibberty-gibbet. I have been called that one too.

      Delete
  3. My husband and I are very different in this regard. I love nothing better than doing something on the spur of the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you compromise and follow the schedule sometimes and then act impulsively sometimes. It can work.

      Delete
  4. My dad learned to play in the War, and continued at home. He taught me to play.
    Good training for life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had little money so we played a lot of games. We got board games and playing cards for Christmas and played word games and games using paper and pencil. It was a good way to spend an evening and it kept our minds sharp.

      Delete