Friday, January 12, 2024

Modern

 

I live in an electronic house. By that I mean that my son has installed many modern features. The locks for the doors are computer operated. The lights are all operated by voice command. The televisions are operated by voice command. The bathroom fan measure the amount of humidity in the air and automatically turns on when needed. Our kitchen range and refrigerator are both connected to our computers and therefore our cell phones. There are motion detecting security lights outside.

It is all so convenient most of the time. To turn off the lights when I am in bed all I have to do is say, " Alexa, turn off the light." She replies, "Okay." and does so.

Coming into the house after dark all we have to do is tell it to turn on the lights and suddenly I can see.

Now all this sounds like fun and it is. I have a problem though.

I have a problem with names. I can be thinking of a correct name and another name comes out of my mouth. I have one lovely daughter. She just had her 50th birthday. I have called her by her own name maybe half a dozen times in her life. Not to worry though. I call my oldest granddaughter by my daughter's name.

So there are several different names for our electronic devices. They must be addressed by name to make them work. Do you have any idea how hard that is for me?

And then there is the TV in the living room. Why I keep wanting to call her Chloe I do not know. It is not the name of anything except in my mind.


10 comments:

  1. Our kids who installed all the electronic gadgets need to devise a solution for the name problem. I often go through all six names of my grands in addressing one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I thought I was the only one. I often finish with a frustrated 'whatever your name is'.

      Delete
  2. Makes me think of the problem when 1000 computer sites ask for "your pin, please" .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have to keep my pins written in a safe handy space.

      Delete
  3. thecontemplativecat here. that would drive me crazy! We call our google thingee "Evelyn". She does now and then respond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evelyn was my mother's name. She usually responded to her nickname.

      Delete
  4. I thought I'd sent a message, but seems not. Our mutual friend, Geo of "Trainrides of the Enignma" passed last weekend. His son Adam sent me an email. thought you should know, if you didn't already.
    Mike
    mm5.montana@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know. Geo had a mavelous mind.

      Delete
  5. awe this is much electronics and internet involvement here dear Emma :)))
    i must be feel anxious as well lol when i have to take correct name and my mind is not that attentive to do so .quite a task but fun oh yes it is when one does not have to get out of bed to turn off the light in freezing cold :)
    you can put some more effort to memorize the name of devices and practice in free moments ,may be it can help :)

    ReplyDelete