Saturday, January 20, 2024

Gone


My little family and I were going on vacation. I had two toddlers at that time.

Both of my sisters and I had been shopping for last minute things. The vacation began as soon as my husband got home from work. We were having a good time.

As we drove up to my parents' home so I could drop my sisters off we were laughing and singing. By changing stations on the radio we heard a song that was a favorite to all of us. We had heard it three times in a row. What fun.

We pulled up in front of the house and Daddy rushed out. His eyes were all red. Since he worked in a chemical factory I thought there must have been a spill.

He hurried over to the car and told me to turn it off. I told him I was not staying but he insisted that I turn it off. So I did.

He told us that my brother had been killed in Viet Nam. I thought I would cry immediately but I was shocked instead. He was my little brother. 

In full disclosure I had felt for more than a week that we would be called home from vacation for his funeral. Feelings like that happen to a lot of people and never come to pass.

I gathered my two little boys and went in to see how my mother was. Did she need a doctor? There on the couch sat my littlest brother and sister. Others were in various places around the room. No Mom.

I went to the phone to call my sister-in-law to tell her that if my husband stopped over there after work (which he planned to do) to have him come to my parents' house instead of going home.

I looked again for my mother. Since she was not there I assumed she was lying down. I took my boys outside so they would not be a bother to others.

When my husband arrived I was still sitting on the front steps keeping an eye on my boys. He ran to us to find out what was wrong. He was sure it was a mistake. He and my brother had been quite close.

We gathered the boys and went inside. Mom was sitting on the couch with my brother and sister. I went to her to see what I could do for her.

As we talked she asked me why I had not said anything to her when I was in the house before. She had been sitting there the whole time!

I have no idea why I did not see her. Maybe it was just too much for me to see both of my parents crying.

8 comments:

  1. So sad to read this story, Emma, and for the loss of you brother. As to why you did not see your mother who was sitting in the same spot, it could be that your grief was so overwhelming that you did not see clearly. Of course, this is only an assumption on my part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A terribly sad memory. Yet some say the world is moving towards was again. I dearly hope not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate war. Would it be nice if everyone could get along?

      Delete
  3. Wow. These are the memories that just burn right into a person's psyche.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such shocking memories stay forever in the corner of the heart dear Emma. Life is weirdly diverse and we are often struck with good or bad surprises.
    It must be utterly heart breaking and took while so you could gather yourself my friend!

    Reminded me how I felt when heard news of the death of my father.it was first death of closest family member actually. Then mom died after some months and Life was different than before.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard when a close family member dies. Who knows how we will react?

      Delete