Sunday, October 22, 2023

Horror Movies

Keeping with the spirit of the season we have been watching horror movies. I love a good scary movie. I do not like bloody gory movies. They are not scary; they are just icky.

When they were small my children would stay up late with me watching scary movies. Consequently they like scary movies. They even like some of the icky ones/

When I was a teen-ager our drive-in theater often showed horror movies. There would be three different movies in a single night. Teen-age boys loved these nights for dates. They used a teen-aged girl's fright as an excuse for a quick snuggle or more if they could get it.

I had one boyfriend who fell asleep during the second movie every time. He never made those"moves" on me. I eventually married him.

I am not saying that he did not appreciate a good scare. We had four children. The youngest was still a baby. We had been watching a vampire movie on TV. 

When the movie was over I realized I had no milk for breakfast. My parents lived next door so I ran over to borrow some milk. I knew my husband was going to try to scare me but I went anyway.

As I was going back home with a gallon of milk in my hand I suddenly saw something flapping toward me from between the houses. I knew it was my husband but...VAMPIRES! I screamed like I was in a horror movie. When we got in the house I threw the gallon of milk at him and he laughed at me. My loving parents next door heard me scream and went to bed.

When we were but children my sister and I wanted to see The Blob at the theater. We were never allowed to see scary movies even with our parents so they would not let us go. We pleaded until they finally gave in. After all I was working and would pay for everything.

About halfway through the movie my sister was so scared she begged to leave. I was afraid too and agreed to leave.

It was nighttime and we were afraid to walk home in the dark. We went to the bowling alley where I worked. My uncle was working that night. He laughed at us then walked us home after he got off work.

 So now we watch the movies on TV. No vampire movies. I am afraid of them. I do laugh though. The dog does not like the sounds from these movies. She moves over to sit close to my son for safety. We all need safety at times.





6 comments:

  1. My wife loves horror movies. I do too, but not if they are gory and bloody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The suspense and surprises make a movie scary. All that blood and gore are only icky.

      Delete
  2. My granddaughter is a scary movie addict. She was tired of my refusing to watch and showed me how they are all fake. It changed my attitude entirely, and I can watch a "scary " movie with the best of them. Thanks, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still do not like vampires. They are the one thing I am convinced do not exist and I am scared to death of them.

      Delete
  3. this was amusing sharing dear Emma :)
    i hardly watched any horror movie before my early twenties because then we had only one national channel who won't allow horror movies but only late night old Hollywood movies with censorship .i first saw when i was married and with one child and each time i enjoyed it . hubby does not like as he finds them stupid lol
    i too don't like bloody one but sensible with strong plot
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since it is the season of Halloween I watch horror movies. I prefer light amusing movies. I want to be entertained and not have to think.

      Delete