Wednesday, October 18, 2023

I Was A Pumpkin

As I have said many times my family did not have much money.  I may not have mentioned that my mother could do almost anything. She was artistic and creative. I wish I had inherited some of that. Mom also had the ability to make things. I am still in awe of her.

When Halloween came Mom often made our costumes. The ones in the store were much too expensive.

My favorite was the year I was a pumpkin. Mom used orange cloth and a lot of wire coat hangers. I even had a little hat that looked like the stem of the pumpkin. 

I was the roundest pumpkin you ever saw. When I went to school the day of the Halloween party I could barely get through the door. Sitting at my desk was impossible. 

The thing is that I looked like a real pumpkin. The year that I was an angel I looked like an angel. It was that way every year. And she did that for all of us so Mom had a lot of work.

It has long been a family tradition that costumes are homemade. For several years my youngest brother and his friends dressed up as KISS. They did their own makeup and clothes. They even used blocks of wood painted black to simulate the high boots that KISS wore.

Various grandchildren have also dressed as KISS from time to time. As a matter of fact there are three different live KISS videos in which my grandchildren appear. 

One of my younger brothers dressed as a cheerleader for a party one year. He was a huge hit. I did noy realize he had such pretty legs. 

Halloween is for having fun. Go overboard and have a good time.


2 comments:

  1. Your mom was wise and knew how to create comfort within limited resources. My Mom was also such amazing mom with magical Vande for her children dear Emma.
    Thanks for the beautiful sharing it warms heart indeed.
    I bet you were cutest pumpkin and sweetest angle ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was. It was wonderful to have such a caring mother, wasn't it?

      Delete