Sunday, August 20, 2023

Who I Am

 I am a baby boomer. After World War ll, there was a huge increase in new babies. The servicemen coming home from the war married and started their families. My father was in the navy. His younger brother was dating a nice girl who had a sister who was not attached. A blind date was arranged and my parents met. Soon after, they married and a whole 10 months later, they had a beautiful baby girl.

My daddy had always wanted a daughter. When he came home from overseas, he had a kimono for his wife-to-be and his little girl. He wasted no time getting both of us. I have always felt very special because I was the little girl my daddy wanted. I have 4 brothers and two sisters. It was great being part of a large family. We never had much money but there was a lot of love.

My mom was the most intelligent person I have ever known. She was a quiet, nurturing woman. Daddy could make or fix anything. He loved being a family man and we all adored him.

Daddy was always looking for something better so we moved a lot as I grew up. I went to 9 different schools before I graduated from high school. He still kept moving until they moved to Detroit. I think he finally found his home.

Mom just packed and moved to where-ever. I don't think she liked Detroit and as soon as she could after Daddy was gone, she moved to warmer weather.

Today is Mom's birthday so she is very much on my mind. Daddy's birthday is in a week and a half with me plopped right in the middle. 

My parents are both dead now. I miss them both so much. 

Emma is not my real name. My family have not given permission to having the world know them. So I made up a name. Otherwise any facts I give about myself or my family are true.

10 comments:

  1. It's good to be a wanted baby, and to have so many brothers and sisters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always felt loved and special. Perhaps just a bit egotistical.

      Delete


  2. thecontemplativecat here. I was the middle of 5 children, 3 boys and 2 girls. I wish I could say it was great but it wasn't. That is for another story. You were blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really was. I was somewhat spoiled and I knew it.

      Delete
  3. dear Emma i too realize that as we get older memories belong to childhood and parents specially get stronger .
    may their soul be in peace !
    your mom sounds just like my mom quiet and always ready to give love and whatever little she had . mom and me both like warmer weather though we both loved winters more but warm weather suited our health .
    being a child that parent wanted is very nice and you deserve to feel special . i am happy you led a well organized and beautiful family life my friend as i see how your children love you and look after you :)
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I hear of some of the horrible childhoods some people had I am so grateful for my parents. I was so fortunate.

      Delete
  4. Είσαι πολύ τυχερή που είχες όμορφα παιδικά χρόνια

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so very lucky. Really all a child needs is a lot of love and I had it.

      Delete
  5. We boomers are so fortunate. I did not have a family like yours but I'm glad you did. I love it that your dad bought kimonos for the wife and daughter he didn't even have yet. We moved a lot too; I never attended the same school two years in a row until I was a junior in college. Many times my sister and attended more than one school in a single year. I wouldn't trade it I don't suppose, but it was hard always being the new girl. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was! Especially in the middle of the year. Cliques are already formed and you feel like a bug under a microscope. If you are lucky enough to begin the year you have a slightly better chance.

      Delete