Friday, March 20, 2015

Wearin' O' The Green


As I write this it is St Patrick's Day. It is a true holiday in the Irish family I was lucky enough to marry into. My beautiful children and grandchildren have inherited the very best traits attributed to the Irish race.

It seems fitting that as I was out driving today I noticed the first signs of greenery. They are only signs but the real thing will thing is sure to follow.

I have been noticing for a while the color difference. As I lay in bed in the mornings I look out my window. During the winter the trees go into a deep sleep. Even the evergreens become dull and a gray-green color.

Now all the trees a perking up. The evergreens are becoming green again. The browns of the other trees are somehow more vibrant. It seems that they are waking slowly. Soon they will have the buds that will turn into those tender pastel green leaf babies that will grow into various shades of glorious green.

Soon grass and other ground plants will begin to push up through the brown soil to lay a carpet of green over the earth.

As a matter of fact that was what I saw today. Many fields are being worked already. The farmers are busy filling them with fertilizer so that when it is time to plant soon the field will be ready to nourish the seeds.

But in areas where the ground has not been worked I saw hints of green. I did not see actual vegetation. No. All I saw was the hint. If I looked directly at the illusive green all that was there was brown. But indirectly there was that hint.

Soon everything will be green and alive. I was surprised at the spark of life I felt. Usually I prefer autumn. But I came home with a feeling of renewal and joy today. The earth is coming alive.

The holiday of my family is the perfect day for this sense of newness. The world is celebrating too.

12 comments:

  1. In fact this weekend the children and I will begin clearing out the flower gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to the first dandelion and the first violets. All those beautiful colors make us joyful.

      Delete
    2. I love it when the foliage starts to come alive. It'sbeginningheretoo.
      We drove in from the south yesterday and sixty milestones outs, the difference was remarkable.
      You shoul put a follow by email widget on your blog. It make it easy to remember to visit when you post.
      R

      Delete
    3. The person who helps me try to understand my computer has told me that the widget you suggest will cause problems with the server I am using. If it helps I try to have a new post each Tuesday and Friday.

      Delete
  2. Norma has interrupted herself regularly to go out and photograph greenings snd blossomings. I suspect she is Irish but am (as a Portaghee) not sure our tempers would match and am afraid to ask. Given another 45 years of marriage (beginning tomorrow), I'm hopeful this uncertainty will resolve itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Anniversary to you both. Portuguese sailors often visited Ireland so there may be some commonalities present.

      Delete
  3. Hello greetings and good wishes.

    I have also noticed green has many shades starting with a dull,dark green to bright cheerful green which is truly amazing.

    Here in Kochi, paddy fields look awful after harvest but when the paddy is full grown, the vast stretches of lush green takes ones breath away.

    It is fantastic to see a vast area of green carpet reaching up to the horizon. and when the breeze blows it is awesome to see the full grown paddy swaying with the wind.

    Interesting post.

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in the Great Plains area of the United States. When the prairie grasses are blowing in the wind it looks like the waves of the ocean. The movement of the grasses is lovely.

      Delete
  4. Sadly, we are still waiting to see some signs of spring and warmer temperatures in NH. But, as long as the sun is shining and the wind is calm, I can wait a bit longer. I too married into an Irish family; my heritage is Italian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a mutt in the truest sense of the word. We have been traced to several Germanic countries, as well as Denmark and some Slavic countries. I guess I am just a mixed up soul.

      Delete