Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Snooze


Most of the United States is back on regular time after several months of Daylight Saving Time. Daylight Saving Time has always made me wonder. 

I understand the reasoning for it. The most productive day of a farmer is during the day. The sun gives light for him to produce crops and care for livestock.

My question is why can they not just get up an hour earlier?

Now there are those who would like daylight Saving Time to be the normal time all the time. There is science measuring the time zones. I would like them to stay the same and adjust myself to any changes that need to be made when they need to be made.

Which brings me to the subject of the alarm clock. An alarm clock makes a noise to wake you up at the assigned time. If I wish to awaken at 7:00 AM I set my alarm for that time. These days most alarms have a snooze button.

A snooze button allows you to go back to sleep for five minutes. Then the alarm sounds again. I have been told you can hit the snooze button for an infinite number of times. I would not know.

I have never used the snooze button... not once. If I do not get up right away I will try the infinite number of times. I know better than to start doing it.

I set the alarm for the time I need to get up. If I wish to sleep five minutes longer I will set the alarm for five minutes later. I know me. If I used that snooze button I would never get up.






14 comments:

  1. I usually wake up earlier than I set the alarm. I'm not sure why. It must be because I have had enough sleep for that night.
    This past year if I don't get up my legs begin to hurt, too much to sleep with. When I get up and move around the intense pain mysteriously stops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sympathize about your legs. I wish I had a solution for you.

      Delete
  2. thecontomplativecat here. I lived by the clock until I retired. Slowly the get up time is later and later. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post makes me think that daylight saving is for having psychological effect as you said here that everyone can do it by own but we know we human follow the flow more easily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I am retired I can set my own time. For the most part I do not follow the clock. I can finally follow my inner clock.

      Delete
  4. I must confess that when I worked outside the home and used an alarm clock, I always set it for ten minutes before I had to get up, then I hit snooze to give me those extra ten minutes. What can I say?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone is different. My son uses the snooze on Alexa several times. I just know I would never get up.

      Delete
  5. I also do not see the need for daylight savings time and of course some states do not change clocks in fall and spring. As for setting alarms, the only time we have done it is when there is an important appointment and even then we have nearly always awoken before the alarm went off. I never set an alarm for anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I do for an appointment. Like you I am up and about before the alarm would go off.

      Delete
  6. I agree with you on Daylight Saving Time: it is such a nuisance, and every time our biorhythm has adjusted itself to the "new" time (if at all - I still have problems and wake up now at 5 o'clock which in summertime would be 6 o'clock...) The EU has decided that it is pure nonsense years ago - but nothing happened...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless I have a special reason I wake up when I wish and go to sleep when I wish. My body has developed a regular time for each so I have pretty regular times in bed.

      Delete
  7. "I have never used the snooze button... not once."

    Same here.

    Years ago, Oregon passed a bill to keep DST in effect year round, but Congress is too busy doing nothing to allow the Oregon bill to take effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the snooze button is a totally useless addition to alarm clocks.

      Delete