Friday, December 29, 2023

Hoarfrost

 There is nothing more beautiful than hoarfrost. All the world looks like it is made of powdered sugar.

Hoarfrost forms when moisture in the air skips the water droplet stage and appears directly as ice crystals on an object. The visual effect is stupendous.

Winter here in Iowa is always surprising and usually gorgeous.

Yesterday I was glorying in the beauty of the hoarfrost. Today was a new scene. 

Overnight ice formed on trees, bushes, and prairie grass. It was not an ice storm. Just a frozen form of dew. When the sun shines as it does today they all look like they have been plated with silver. It is close to the beauty of hoarfrost.

In the winter we often get snow. A new snow is pretty falling to the ground, Just as pretty is the snow on the ground before it has been walked on. 

There is a sense of quiet and calm in the winter that you will not feel any other time of year. Hoarfrost is still best.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You are welcome. I still feel surprised when I see so many of the wonders of nature.

      Delete
  2. thecontemplativecat here. " When the sun shines as it does today they all look like they have been plated with silver. " Beautifully said. We lived in Ames, Iowa, in 1972-74. Snow, oh boy. There was a blizzard April 5, 1973, that froze the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what I mean. Winter in Iowa is an experience.

      Delete
  3. Your description is exquisite and awesome dear Emma that made me feel there almost: )
    I saw snow only thrice in my youth and I am sure each time it was just like you mentioned here :)
    Happy snowy days my friend enjoy the fresh snow landing on things and turning them magically

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy all the seasons here. Each of them has its own magical qualities. But hoarfrost is the most magical.

      Delete
  4. Winter is always a beautiful season to me as well, Emma, and hopefully we will have our first snowfall here this coming weekend. I already have plans to make soup and watch it snow and then go out and walk in it. Sending best wishes to you for a happy, healthy and peaceful 2024.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I wish the dame for you. Be careful when you are out walking in the snow.

      Delete