Friday, October 2, 2026

How Come

 My daughter is blessed with three big brothers. I always wished I I had a big brother. 

My daughter adored her brothers. They adored her. It is still true and they are all in their 50's.

I thought when the novelty of having a girl in the family the boys would relax a bit. Not so. 

She has felt protected and loved for her entire life.  Each brother served a different part as hero for her.

The oldest brother is the calm person who makes things right. She turns to him for security.

The second brother is her fierce warrior guard. He is there to make everyone afraid to cross her.

She and her third brother are Irish twins meaning there is barely a year's difference in their ages. Besides being her friend he is constantly there for her.

There was something about my lovely daughter that drove us all out of our minds. She was a "howcum" child.

She was full of questions. They always started with "how com." "How come I need to wear a coat? How come I can't take the dog to school with me?" "How come it always gets cloudy before it rains?"

When she realized that she was making us crazy she asked even more. Fifty years later she still does it. You would think that by now she knows everything there is to know.

4 comments:

  1. You really have Alice at home.
    And there are Alices elsewhere.
    "How come?"
    The Mad Hatter asks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I knew the answer to that I would be a wealthy woman.

      Delete
  2. She sounds curious about things. That's a great way to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always told my children to ask questions. That is how we learn. But she sometimes makes us crazy. And then laughs.

    ReplyDelete