Friday, February 16, 2024

Miss Hayhurst

When I was in second grade I had the best teacher of all teachers. Her name was Miss Hayhurst. She taught Kindergarten, first, and second grades. It was a small town so the teachers all taught three grades at a time.

Each child in her room felt like teacher's pet. Each and every one of us!

Every morning after reciting the Pledge of Allegiance we sang a little song wishing her a good morning. Then she sang it back to us. It was a cheerful way to begin the day.

I loved school. Whenever we had a test I tried to be the first to turn in my paper and to have the best grade. It came easy to me. I often had time to write a little note to her on my paper. She replied to the note when the paper was returned with the grade on it. Usually it was nothing more than me telling her I liked her sweater and her saying, "Thank you."

There was a little girl in first grade who always had the prettiest clothes. Each day we drew a picture of her clothes that day and wrote a bit about why we liked them. At the end of the semester we connected all the pages with yarn and had a book we had written and illustrated.

Every morning we had recess. If the weather was nice went outside to play. Otherwise Miss Hayhurst would find a fun activity for us. Often we would gather musical instruments. We had triangles, blocks of wood, kazoos, and other fun things. There were also three bird warblers. With a little bit of water in them they warbled in the tuned we were celebrating. Miss Hayhurst would play the piano and we marched around the room playing our instruments.

After recess was nap time. Each of us had taken a small throw rug to school at the beginning of the year. At nap time we picked a spot on the floor to spread our rug so we could lie on it. It is surprising how often we all actually fell asleep for a few minutes.

Polio was still dangerous for children then. Dr. Salk invented a vaccine to keep us from being infected. All children across the nation were encouraged to be vaccinated. Schools were the logical place to do this because that was where children would be. But as I said we were a very small town with a very small school.

It was decided that we would be transported to a larger town nearby. The boys were accompanied by some of the teachers on a bus. Miss Hayhurst drove us girls in her car. There were only about a half dozen of us so we had plenty of room. And we were all vaccinated. Adults wanted all the children to be protected from this crippling disease.

Every month there was a school wide assembly. Parents were the audience. Each teacher chose a song, dance, or small play for their students to perform. Because there were so few girls in the town we were usually borrowed by some of the other grades as well as our own. It was great fun.

Mis Hayhurst discovered that I was good at memorizing long poems. I often had a spot alone too. I recited poems like The Owl And The Pussycat, The Gingham Dog And The Calico Cat, and Little Orphant Annie. 

Later Miss Hayhurst told my mother that it was not appropriate for me at that age but she felt that when I was older I would enjoy the works of Shakespeare. She was correct.

Mom said for years that she wished all of us could have had Miss Hayhurst because she was such a good teacher. Unfortunately we moved away a couple of years later so most of the younger ones could not experience her.


12 comments:

  1. What a nice tribute, Emma, to a teacher you obviously enjoyed very much and it seems that she also enjoyed her teaching and her students. i was wondering if you ever re-established contact after your family moved away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I was still quite young. She was a special person in a lot of lives.

      Delete
  2. I was fortunate to have good elementary school teachers too, up to the sixth grade. That teacher and I disliked each other. But she was the last; teachers were quite professional after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have often said that of all the teachers I had (including college)I could name the bad ones on one hand and have fingers left over. I have four children and I can list the good teachers they had on one hand and have fingers left over. And I was much more involved in my childrens' education than my parents had to be.

      Delete
  3. Polio was such a scourge back then. I had a cousin who contracted it and died within a few days. Her parents didn't allow her to get the vaccine when it became available. She died within the year it became available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to learn of your cousin's unspeakably sad death. Polio was a horrific disease.

      Delete
  4. loved this one dear Emma :)
    for all of us i think there is one or two particular teachers in school that we can never forget throughout the life . Love is the gravity that appeals children fast and your teacher seems to have in abundance .
    one of my cousin is effected by polio only because mom's brother's wife could not get him vaccinated when he was baby .it is still threat for underdeveloped countries unfortunately
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read that polio is still a danger in some countries. I am saddened to hear that your cousin was afflicted. I do hope he has a happy life.

      Delete
  5. thecontemplativecat here. Sounds like my own school days. My favorite teacher was Mrs. Eva B. Norton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how much I remember about Miss Hayhurst. She was so special.

      Delete
  6. Most of my teachers throughout my school years were very good and memorable. Only a couple of bad apples in the bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We came from a different time I think. Most teachers felt they were called to teach. Now they only want a job.

    ReplyDelete