Sunday, February 4, 2024

Love

My brother-in-law was in the hospital recently. He had bleeding on the brain. They were able to successfully treat it and he seems to be fine now.

He is a few years older than my husband was and they were quite close. 

When my husband left us he was not as attentive to our children as he should have.  My daughter was especially affected. Her place to be had always been on her daddy's lap. His lap wasn't available.

My daughter began to spend a lot of time with her aunt and uncle. One of my nieces is my daughter's age. I wanted my children to remain close to all their family.

I did not always get along with this brother-in-law. I have so much respect for him because he was there for my daughter when she needed someone like him the most. 

One day my daughter laughingly asked him who his favorite niece was. He said, "Do I have any other nieces?" (There literally are dozens.)

They love each other. My brother-in-law had to love his wife, kids, parents, etc. He did not have to love his niece and she did not have to love him. It is a beautiful thing to see.

I was talking to him a while ago and laughingly said we were getting old. He angrily said, " You are getting old. I'm not!"

So with my daughter being so incapacitated with cancer and him with the brain bleed they have spent a lot of time talking to each other. It has been therapeutic for both of them. 


9 comments:

  1. thecontemplativecat here. "Giving thanks and praise to God is just as natural as taking a breath. " This is from Messymimi meanderings. This can be used in every need. God bless your daughter (cancer) and Son in law (brain bleed) I have had a close brush with this. Horrible pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter and my brother-in-law are both doing well now.

      Delete
  2. That is a beautiful uncle and niece relationship they have. I pray for healing for each of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Emma, I hope that your daughter and her uncle get well - both must be suffering a lot. It is wonderful that they understand each other so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are doing well. My brother-in-law is home with his family. My daughter is well enough that she has gone back to work.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes such relationship reborn after close trauma as you mentioned your brother in law start attending to your daughter after your husband passed away.
    Indeed it can be common heath issues that brought both close.
    My heartfelt prayers for your daughter dear Emma and him .May they feel better with each day amen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. All I know is that my little girl needed a father. Hers made himself unavailable. Her uncle filled that need and they have an extremely close bond.

      Delete