Monday, September 18, 2023

The Big C

I have not given you an update on my daughter in quite some time. She has had a really rough time of it as you can imagine.

For those who are new or just do not remember my daughter was diagnosed with an extremely aggressive form of breast cancer. She underwent chemotherapy for what seemed like forever. Of course she lost all her pretty blonde hair. 

The chemo left her weak and tired. On top of that the shunt they put in to make it easier for the nurses administering the chemo was installed wrong. They had such a hard time using it that my daughter considered stopping it after a couple of months. She said it was just too painful. Finally the doctor did surgery to put in a different one.

My daughter needed a special drug for her chemo. Her insurance would not cover it. One of the nurses was kind enough and tenacious enough to find a program that paid for it.

My daughter decided to have a double mastectomy because the odds of it traveling to the other breast were high. She just wanted to be done with it.

The surgery went well but she did not seem to recover very fast. Maybe I expected too much. She usually heals quickly.

After the surgery there was more chemo along with radiation therapy. The radiation burned most of the skin from her armpit. 

When they removed her breasts they fitted some contraption under the skin to prepare for transplants eventually. They caused so much pain the doctor had to remove them. My daughter said it felt good to be able to breathe pain free again.

So finally after a few months she had surgery to put in the implants. What they do is remove tissue from the abdomen and place it in the breast. 

During the surgery and recovery she received 14 units of blood, 2 units of plasma, and one unit of something else. On average an adult has around 10 units of blood circulating in their system.

On about the third day of recovery someone finally took a look at one of the 6 drainage tubes that my daughter told her was bothering her. My daughter was lying in a pool of blood. When the woman went to gently move the tube to one side it exploded outward similar to an erupting volcano. It sprayed the woman, my daughter, and all over her bed. The only thing it missed was a little stuffed animal that was wearing the St Benedict medal my daughter was not allowed to wear but wanted close.

They covered the implants with folds of skin that had been saved from her breasts. After the first examination by the surgeon she was told that one flap of skin looked like it was dying. They would watch it for progress.

 It seemed to be getting better. Instead it died. Another surgery removed that flap of skin. My daughter insisted on going home. She felt she was not getting the care she needed at the hospital. She felt more comfortable at home.

She has kept her doctor's appointments and is doing what they prescribe. 

One day she noticed that the implant was exposed where the bad flap had been. She notified the doctor. He immediately performed another surgery because the implant actually fell out.

There will be another surgery in a couple of months to either make another implant or somehow pull a muscle from her back around to use as an implant. I do not understand.

Internally and emotionally my daughter is so much better. Physically she still has huge limitations but she is no longer afraid she is going to die.

I am not looking for sympathy and it drives me insane. I only wished to let you know how she is doing.

14 comments:

  1. Wow. What a tough row she has hoed. I do wish her the best for her future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Luckily she a strong feisty little thing.

      Delete
  2. You are describing so many hardships and set backs for your daughter, I am praying for continuing healing for her. It is hard on you, the mom, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. She seems to finally be on the road to recovery.

      Delete
  3. I can feel how hard your daughter is struggling. My prayers for your daughter's recovery. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. She did think at one time she was going to die. But she refused.

      Delete
  4. She has such a difficult time. I hope she gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. I hope she does too. She has been through so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the time she had previously sounds terrifying dear Emma as while i read how she suffered form bothering drainage and wrongly implanted stunt breaks my heart !
    this makes one more sad that the pain could have been avoided if people on duty were more responsible and attentive .
    though i believe that we all have to go though good and bad destined to our life and every challenge comes make us stronger and wiser .
    i am happy that she is mentally and emotionally is better by the grace of God .i hope and pray her body will recover asap amen!
    hugs to you my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. She seems better now. I am hoping no more problems arise. She has had more than her share.

      Delete
  7. What an ordeal your daughter has been through. I'm so glad to hear that she is recovering. Our daughter is also a breast cancer survivor. Hers was a lumpectomy, not aggressive, and was caught early. The chemo, surgery, and radiation was not fun, that's for sure. Her hair has now grown back. I wish only the best for your daughter. You both sound like very strong women, and that surely helped during the whole process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. During some of the worst of her chemo I had to tell her that I had been diagnosed with breast cancer. I felt guilty that it was a non-aggressive form of cancer. It was removed and I had no chemo or radiation. Life is not fair.

      Delete
  8. What a terrifying ordeal your daughter had been through, Emma, and it was good to read that she is home. In the past few months, I have lost two friends to breast cancer, which was thought to be in remission, but sadly was not. It spurred me to get a mammogram this week after a year break and thankfully, the results were negative. Sending my good wishes for your daughter's continued recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am happier than you can imagine that your mammogram results were good.

      Delete