Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Wake Up!

 I wake up slowly in the morning. I watch the trees from my window as I lounge in bed. Usually there are birds flitting around just to make my life more enjoyable.

Then I watch the morning news and some other programs that I regularly watch. I then get dressed and go into the kitchen for breakfast. 

It is the way I like to start my day. I feel awake and a bit pampered.

I also know that not everyone is such a slow starter. My youngest sister actually growls if you so much as speak to her before she is awake in the morning. Slow starter.

My siblings and I learned when we were very young not to shake my father or get too close if we had to wake him. He had served in the Navy during WWII. Aboard the ship he had to get up and be ready to go immediately. That training never left him. 

When Daddy woke up he jumped straight up to his feet and stood at attention. If you were too close he might knock you right over!

As I said we learned to stay far away. He was an immediate starter.

That training came in handy for me. I married a man who had 4 brothers. All 5 of them were full of vinegar. They loved to pick on each other.

I already knew not to get close when waking a sleeping man. My husband would wake up swinging his fists to ward off whatever foolishness was coming his way.

So my children also knew not to get close to a waking person. Do you wake up fast or slow?


10 comments:

  1. I am a fast waker. With two children, it was necessary. I was married to a lazy waker, and that is not meant in a polite sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky with my children. All four were slow wakers. Although the three boys were late wakers and my daughter was an early-bird.

      Delete
  2. I wake up slow. It's a great pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy being able to lounge in the morning. I worked all my life and paid taxes for 51 years. I deserve to pamper myself.

      Delete
  3. Same here. We have been married for decades. My husband gets up first, watches business shows. I wander out later and go make tea. He still starts talking to me about stuff. Silly man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emma, I am with you in preferring to wake up slow, unless there is some reason to wake up early or quickly. My husband doesn't schedule any appointments earlier than 9 or 10 am, unless its for a car servicing. I often wake up early to do some reading and always have an e-book on the Kindle on the nightstand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like not having to get up to go to work. Anything else can wait until afternoon.

      Delete
  5. what an interesting read dear Emma :)
    i so much enjoyed it
    i smiled and chuckle constantly as you mentioned your father's way of waking up ad how you guys had to be careful with it
    i think i am pretty fast fast at waking up in the morning though i would love to make it slow if i am not only to start the day in the house and preparing breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was fortunate. My husband did not like breakfast. My sons were all late sleepers. My daughter was not old enough to eat breakfast until two of her brothers were in school and needed to be fed.

      Delete