Tuesday, September 11, 2018

In Home Birthday


As you know my sister has been in a nursing home for a few years. She suffered a severe stroke. Her husband cared for her at home as long as he could. Finally they found a nice facility for her.

Her husband and son visit her every day. Still she wishes to be at home.

My sister's birthday is 9 days after mine. She is 4 years younger than I am.

She recently turned 67 years old in the nursing home. I know she hated it but at the same time she was in good spirits when I spoke to her.

She is still paralyzed on one side of her body. Being unable to sit up means she is always in bed. Some days she has trouble breathing because of her inactivity.

I of course had to tease her about being so old. She was determined to never become old and here she is... 67 years old. How funny.

We used to laugh because she got rid of men (including husbands) when they turned 30. Who knew we would ever be this old?

Time is so precious. I remind all of us to enjoy it while we have it.

14 comments:

  1. My mom used to say, “Make hay while the sun shines”. As I age, those words are more meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we are young we think time is unlimited. As we age we begin to realize how limited it is.

      Delete
  2. My dad used to say, 'Listen my children, take my advice, take down your pants and slide on the ice'.

    I never did that, but -- ever the daredevil -- I find that I am beginning to favour British spelling and punctuation in my old age (77). You know what they say, there's no fool like an old fool, and I have to keep up my end of the bargain.

    I'm feeling silly today. Did you notice?''

    Laughter is good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My soul must be in excellent shape. I find amusement in almost everything.

      Delete
  3. When I was young, I was part of the "invincibles". We were busy and felt like this would last a much longer time.

    Well, dang. It didn't. I have two black tees: I can't believe how old people my age are, and, I thought growing old would take much longer.

    But, I laugh at myself at this age, of 66.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had a clever reply for you but I cannot come up with a thing. "They" say the mind is the first thing to go.

      Delete
  4. It scares me to think about being in a nursing home someday. Staying at home and having my health is what I want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A thought-provoking post, thanks for getting me thinking Emma.
    I try and remind myself: don't forget, you will probably take yourself with you where-ever you go, and however old you get. That's good, right?
    (Followed you from your comment on RWP)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your reasoning. I often notice myself when I am out. Rhymes with Plague is one of my favorites.

      Delete
  6. Age really sneaks up on a person. Or maybe it has been stalking us all along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot speak for anyone else but old age ran up and tackled me. Strangely enough I feel the same way I always have. I am me.

      Delete
  7. My late mother who dies at age 92, nearly 3 years ago, used to always tell everyone "never grow old" and apparently she was didn't heed her own advice. Belated birthday wishes to your sister, Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time is precious.
    I hope I am still able to run marathon when I am 70 year old

    ReplyDelete