Friday, October 18, 2024

Where Are We?

We were looking for the place we wanted to be. We were not finding it and ended up not knowing where we were. My sister-in-law was close to hysteria. The rest of us just laughed. Mom was driving.

Now is the time to tell you that my mother easily got lost. It had been happening my whole life. She had absolutely no sense of direction. She said that she could be driving down a familiar road and all of a sudden the road "picked itself up and was going another direction."

As children we gave it no thought. We did not know that not everyone got lost sometimes. We looked at it as an adventure. We never knew what we would see.

To become not lost Mom would just keep driving. She felt she would find someplace she knew and would find her way then.

As I said we all thought it was a great adventure. I am certain it taught me not to panic, to enjoy the unexpected, and that things always work out.

So my poor sister-in-law was extremely upset. However when we found Gratiot Avenue even she had a good laugh.


2 comments:

  1. That's funny. For a while years ago I used to drive to another neighborhood to find a KFC restaurant until my brother gave me a strange look. There was a nearby KFC that I forgot about.
    I usually go down the wrong hallway in buildings. I turn left when I should turn right. If I go the opposite direction to anticipate my wrong turn, I still go the wrong way!
    I made up a name for this: "Directional Deficit Disorder"
    Thank goodness for GPS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the only person in the family who cannot tell direction. My sister, the maphead, taught my girls how to get around. Fortunately.

    ReplyDelete