Saturday, April 9, 2022

Here We Go

 I am feeling better all the time. My fine motor skills (such as typing) are still not as I would like but improving. So now I will tell you all that is going on with me.

My salivary glands and taste buds were severely affected by the stroke. It left me unable to eat. I also became dehydrated and had to go back to the hospital to have an IV. It helped immensely.

I complained to every doctor, nurse, and therapist about not being able to eat. Each one nodded sympathetically but offered no solutions to my problem. In the meantime I had lost about 70 pounds in two months' time. 

My genius son offered a solution. I should try to find things I could swallow in small amounts and eat several times a day. Smoothies, apple sauce, and pudding allowed me some nourishment. I also consume large amounts of water to stay hydrated. I now can eat small amounts of foods that have a sauce or gravy to keep them moist in my mouth.

While I was still in the hospital a cat scan revealed a couple of masses in my breast and a rather large kidney stone. I had no noticeable symptoms so both were a surprise. 

To treat the kidney stone they inserted a stent in my kidney. That would allow them to treat the infection caused by the stone. They will remove it and somehow break up the stone so it will pass from my body.

The did biopsies on the masses in my breast. As expected one is cancerous. It is a slow-moving form of cancer. A lumpectomy is scheduled for next month. I should need no chemotherapy or radiation after. 

I am fortunate that both conditions were discovered when they were. 

My poor daughter was so distraught when she learned about the breast cancer. She had a double mastectomy a few weeks ago. Her cancer was an insidious form that spreads quickly. She went through several months of intense chemo and will have to undergo radiation treatments now. And she was more worried about me!

Now that I have listed all my complaints for you I will say I feel good and I am getting stronger all the time. My physical therapy is making me stronger all the time.  

6 comments:

  1. I have always suspected you were one of the strongest people on earth. Now I know you are for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. – Joshua 1:9

    When my brother was dying from a brain tumor, this was the song to sing to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay physical therapy. Stay with it. And yay for your thoughtful son, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was happy to find a new post and thank you for posting this detailed update on your strike and the resulting aftermath. While I fight a constant weight loss battle, I never want to accomplish it as dramatically as yourself. Happy that your son came up with a solution that is being helpful as your recovery. As distressing as it was to read about the kidney stone and breast cancer, the outcomes to both are better than the initial diagnosis. Sorry to read about your daughter's condition and hopefully she too will make a full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 70 pounds in two months sounds scary dear Emma but what makes me hopeful is that you are feeling better day by day which means you are on the edge of recovery by the grace of lord!

    doctors are same everywhere it seems through your post as they don't mention solution because they become so used to seeing people suffering they care less as human i think . glad your son's advice working nice for you and you are eating little amount of food now .

    i am sorry that you revealed two more issues about your health ,but thank goodness they are not big threat and will be treated soon !
    i hope your daughter is fine after recovery .and hope you will recover completely and soon dear friend!
    hugs and blessings ,please take great care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless you, kid! I so appreciate the update. Sounds like you were hit by a ton of bricks, yet you sound so resilient--as though you are doing your damnedest to crawl out from under them.

    I'm late reading this post because I have had two surgeries of late (one eye and one prostate), but I think I'm back now.

    ReplyDelete