Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Trixie


I am not sure where we got Trixie. After all I was only about 4 years old. We lived on a farm so she had lots of room to run and play with us.

Trixie was some sort of terrier mix. She was white with big black and brown spots.

Apparently she had a romantic tryst because she gave birth to a litter of several pups. We named them all but the only name I remember is Ugly. He was a homely little guy... so homely he was cute.

One day my little brother and I walked into the house with angelic expressions on our faces. "Mommy I don't know how it happened but all the puppies are down the toilet hole."

We had an outdoor toilet and my brother and I had tossed all the puppies in.

My father started to laugh. He actually fell out of his chair onto the floor trying to catch his breath.

Mom rushed out to try to rescue them.

She managed to get all the puppies out. She had to clean them off using water from the pump and some dish soap.

Daddy was still on the floor laughing when she finished. Mom was not happy with any of us.

By the way all of the puppies went to good homes except for Ugly. We kept him.

10 comments:

  1. That is actually cruel!! I do not find it amusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. It was cruel. Children do not always have the capacity to understand the possible consequences of their actions.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear this is comforting

    but this is great that your mom rescue them

    having pet brings lots of responsibility along and your mom was doing it nicely dear Emma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! Whatever possessed both of you to do this?!

      Clearly your dad appreciated your creativity. Your mom was far more compassionate.

      Delete
    2. Who knows why children do some things? I barely remember parts of the whole thing.

      Delete
  3. Outhouses always scared me. I feared I would fall in to the hole, or that a black widow spider would bit me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Imagine having to go out there at night in the middle of winter. I love indoor plumbing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a three-holer. I don't know why, as going was not a community event. Having to use our outhouse in mostly hot Texas always made me think of spiders, and scorpions, and rattlesnakes. Indoor plumbing is the eighth wonder of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandma and Grandpa had a three-holer on the farm. Plus there was a baby one off to the side because there were so many of us little people. Winter was bad and summer was bad. In the winter cold winds would blow from below to freeze a tush. In the hot summer you would sweat in that awful smell until you were finished. Not a pleasant place to be.

      Delete