Wednesday, October 12, 2022

I Can Drive

 I am a legal driver again!

I went to renew my license on my birthday in August. I passed the eye test and everything they threw at me. Then the woman leaned over the counter and said, "I see you are using a walker. May I ask why?"

There was no reason to lie so I explained that I had a stroke in December. She asked me and my son to step into her office.

The woman explained that she could not issue me a driver's license unless my doctor filled out a form approving my driving abilities. He did. However he wanted the neurologist to give another opinion.

So I went to see the neurologist. She said she could see no reason that I was a danger to drive. However she would need me to take a simulated driving test and pass it before she would fill out the form.

The only place in this whole area that gives the test is in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. The first appointment available was in three weeks. I took it.

I know that at my age if I allowed my license to expire it would be difficult to get a new one later. I was willing to work to renew the one I have.

Sioux Falls is more than an hour away. It was a misty day. When I got there the examiner explained that she had to test my cognitive abilities before my driving test.

She tested my memory. She tested my knowledge of road signs. She tested my knowledge of what to do in certain traffic and road conditions. She tested my eyes. She tested my reflexes and reaction time. It all took about an hour. I passed.

For the road test we actually got into a vehicle and went driving. We drove all over Sioux Falls including onto the Interstate Highway. It took about an hour. I passed.

The place I go for the driver's license is only open two days a week. I live in a very rural area. I went today. Lo and behold. I am now a licensed driver again!

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I stopped driving because of a motor neuropathy and a seizure disorder. I still have my license and want to drive with hand controls. It's difficult for me to control my legs and feet. Sometimes I step on the gas and break pedals simultaneously. My legs get weak enough to need a wheel chair sometimes.
    I'll have to go through a similar experience that you did. I'll ask my neurologist. I have an appointment for later this month.
    I use things like Uber now, but it's not the same as driving yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard having to depend on others when you are used to taking care of them.

      Delete
  2. I am so happy for you, especially as a massive stroke survivor myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your stroke was so much worse than mine. I was fortunate this time.

      Delete
  3. i have no words to express my joy for your achievement dear Emma :)))

    heartfelt congrats my dear friend for being driver again !
    wow this is truly god's grace that you passed both tests and were allowed to drive .
    safe traveling ! hugs nad blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. For a time I did not feel comfortable driving. I feel confident now that I am a safe driver.

      Delete
  4. What great news, Emma, and glad your persistence and determination paid off for you. But, most of all, it is wonderful to read how you passed all those tests and now have your license again. As we age, the fear of not being able to get around without assistance is certainly a concern. In a way, that’s why living in a city area is more convenient then when we lived in a very small town with limited places where one could walk for essentials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I still rely on my son for many things. I now can take care of day-to-day living.

      Delete
  5. Delighted to hear that all went well and that your license was renewed So sorry about the stroke but you seem to be coping very well. Take care Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fortunate that the stroke was not severe. I still do not have full control of fine motor skills in my left hand or leg. I am left-handed so it can be frustrating.

      Delete