Saturday, July 9, 2022

Don't Hang Up

 When I was about 7 years old my mother came to me and said I had a phone call. The telephone was a foreign object to me. I do not recall having one before then.

I said, "Hello", as I had seen others do. It was a friend from school.

She and some other children were having a carnival in her back yard. Would I like to come? Entrance was a penny.

I told her I would have to check with my mother. She told me she would wait. I quickly replaced the receiver in its cradle and ran excitedly to my mother.

My mother went to the phone to check on details and discovered that I had hung up the phone. I did not understand the workings of that thing yet. We were new in town. I knew my friend's first name but not her last. I did not know where she lived. There was no *69 to reconnect with her phone.

I was heartbroken. However my resourceful mother found a way to get me to the carnival. She drove me there and gave me a penny for my entrance fee.

When I officially entered I learned that each exhibit required another penny. I had no more pennies so I sort of wandered around. 

Again someone realized I was penniless and I was able to see the attractions for free. 

I remember little of the carnival itself. I only lived in that town for a short while so I do not even remember the names of the other children. I do remember their kindness and I thank them for it.

All things considered I had a good time. And an interesting adventure. 



10 comments:

  1. Good to see your name! Going to carnivals were special to our town. In the 50s & 60s, summer was so much fun. Glad to hear some other small town girls had such experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was always something happening in small towns. I was so young and inexperienced for this one.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like the perfect adventure for a 7 year old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the beginning I did not know what to expect. It was a great adventure.

      Delete
  3. This was a sweet recollection, Emma, of not only kindness but of simpler days past. Nice to read that you were able to go to the festival and a penny surely went further years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is such a sweet story dear Emma :) remembering the kindness of that town girl is so inspiring of you ,i am glad your mom made it possible for you eventually

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I think about that carnival I realize how many things I learned that day.

      Delete