Friday, March 4, 2016

For A Song


"Musick has charms to soothe a savage breast," is the first line of the play The Mourning Bride by William Congreve. Put into today's language that simply means that music makes us feel good.

I listen to all types of music. Some I like better than others but I never want to be limited because you never know where you will hear something that really touches your soul.

Now I have NO musical ability. If you locked a nice tune up in a briefcase and locked it I would not be able to carry it. But that does not stop me from singing. I sang to my babies and their babies. I sing along with the radio and my favorite recordings. I sing along with commercials. I have learned to stop if my children or grandchildren begin to look uncomfortable when I sing in public when I am with them.

When I was managing the band I was lead singer whenever they did a group of us on stage. The song was "Doo Wah Diddy Diddy" originally by Manfred Mann. I would sing, "There he was just a'walkin down the street singin" and the rest of the group would sing "Doo wah diddy diddy dum diddy doo."

It was great fun. Being the natural ham that I am I was not bothered at all being on the stage. The band tried to do it a couple of times each month. When it was over everyone felt good.

That is not the only job I had where I would sing. I did it at all of them.

I was a telemarketer. Yes I was one of those terrible people and it does not pay as well as they lead you to believe... another story.

One day I was in charge of the office. Everyone seemed a little depressed and listless. Being told no and being hung up on so many times can do that to you. We always had the radio on to try to combat the weariness we would sometimes feel.

That day the song "Do You Love Me?" by The Contours began to play. I turned the radio up high. We all stopped our calls and just sang along at the top of our lungs.

When the song was over we turned the radio down and started dialing again. But we were all smiling.

I worked at a factory making industrial shocks. We did so many things to keep away the boredom. Word games and riddles were popular. We even told fairy tales. But singing was the most fun. Because I am not shy I was often asked to start the songs.

I chose songs that we all knew. After all it is not much fun to try to sing a song you do not know.

We had a new member on the line. He was a young Puerto Rican kid. He was so quiet and shy. I often tried to get him to sing along with us but he would just smile and shake his head.

One day I began to sing "Iko, Iko". I know the version done by the Dixie Cups. I sang "My grandma and your grandma were sitting by the fire". I looked up in shock. Fidel was singing with us! When the song was over I told him I was surprised that he was singing. He said, "That is the first song I knew." He felt good and was finally a part of the group.

Eventually I was transferred to the laser room. I worked in there all by myself because the laser was considered to be dangerous to those whose eyes were not protected. I loved the job for many reasons.

The only problem was the boredom of being alone with no noise of any kind except the laser for 8 hours. Naturally I would sing to myself. Harmony was difficult that way. But I enjoyed myself.

If you are feeling a little down or lonely start to sing. You will feel better. And if you really want to feel good dance along with the song. It is good exercise.

8 comments:

  1. Songs elate the spirit, definitely. What I was thinking about only yesterday was: here in Berlin I see a lot of people humming to themselves, in the street. Nice humming, but in other cities I didn't notice that. Query: as they can't sing out of boredom - are they singing to protect themselves from overflow? Or out of joy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think that the music inside them just has to come out so they hum. I am glad you see this. You have a happy street.

      Delete
  2. I sing along all the time, but mostly it's in the car and often Grenville joins in. On long road trips we listen to oldies and country songs and sing along to both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Togetherness. That was the first word that popped into my head. I like it.

      Delete
  3. I used to sing our babies to sleep with "OL' Man River" while carrying them back and forth in the kitchen. Recently my daughter in Chicago wrote me that she'd gone to hear a baritone sing from "Showboat" and other musicals, but felt "unaccountably sleepy" during "Ol' Man River". You never know where a song's influence ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sang The Unicorn Song to my babies. Ol' Man River is a strong song. Whatever works.

      Delete
  4. I love singing, BUT, it does not mean singing loves me :) You are so right, music does make us feel good, and very joyful too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot sing... but that does not stop me. I love to sing even if I am severely off key.

      Delete