Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Pick Pick Pick


I abhor a bully. Bullies are those creatures who pick on others in order to hurt them in some way. It might be physical like a punch to the jaw. It might be emotional like making fun of the way someone looks.

Bullies usually have a group with them. If they are alone they usually behave themselves. Whether the audience is because they need the applause or the security is open to interpretation. Either way bullies are usually only bullies when they feel safe being so.

With the evolution of social media the group is often those at other computers who feed egos with their comments. The anonymity of being at a computer makes them feel that they are in a solitary environment. I believe they feel free to say things that they moght not say if other people were not physically with them.

But they are still bullies. They intend to make someone feel less than. Ir is wrong.

All of us have been teased at one time or another. I remember when I was in say 3rd grade my mother packed my lunch for school.

At that time everything was wrapped in waxed paper. It was what was available. I ate my sandwich and whatever else was lunch. But the was a nice surprise there. Mom wrapped a nice piece of cake.

I unwrapped the cake. I had to eat it with my fingers because I had no tableware since I had not purchased my lunch. No problem.

The problem was that all the frosting from the cake was stuck to the waxed paper. For me no problem. I simply licked it off.

Someone from another lunch table saw me and started to make fun of me. "What are you doing? Eating the waxed paper?"

My feeling s were hurt but I pretended it did not bother me. It was over as soon as it began. I was going to say that it did not bother me but it must have. Otherwise I would not remember it 60 years later.

When I was in the second grade there were 5, count 'em, 5 girls in my grade. Of course we broke off into "cliques".  Three girls would be "in". Two girls would be "out".

It was not the same groups all the time. Things would change at the drop of an eyelash. And the two girls were not often the same either. It was just that two must be on the outside and three on the inside.

I have no reason why it was that way. It just was.

Life was good as one of the three. I belonged. I could be carefree. I was"in"!

As one of the two life was spent trying to once again be one of the three. I was miserable.

I have to be honest. The three did not pick on the two. The three did not make fun of the two. They simply ignored them.

That situation is a good example of my second statement. I understand that children need to establish a "pecking order".

In any group of people there is a leader. One makes decisions and the others agree.

In the best groups the leader changes depending on the situation.

In order to function in a society a person must know his/her place in the pecking order. He/she must also know that place can be changed.

Some of the childish bickering that we see is simply jockeying for position. It is normal and healthy (most of the time). Adults have the responsibility to allow it to happen without getting out of control.

So I know bullying is bad. It is a fact.

I believe that learning to get along with others sometimes involves differences of opinion and learning how to deal with the opinions. The arts of acquiescing and compromise are important tools in life. Another lesson is learning not to abuse the power of leadership..

So conflict can be instructional as long as it is resolved peacefully. Bullying is always bad. Our lesson for today.

14 comments:

  1. fact!
    Very good post. I was the victim of a bully when I was a kid, and if there is one thing I learned from that, is that they are all cowards. Once someone faces them, they shrink and disappear, just like the monsters we used to fear when we were small. I tried, and it was great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations to you. It is so hard to stand up to a bully when you feel so alone. You should be proud.

      Delete
  2. A bully really have no courage. The courageous one is anyone who stand up to one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. But one must be smart when standing up to a bully because one is usually outnumbered. I think it takes a bit of knowledge and planning to know which situation might be the best one to make a stand. Bullying is something that is so hard to successfully fight which is why it is becoming so common. I only hope that those being bullied online will go to an adult who understands what to do because that seems to be where the most damage is done right now.

      Delete
  3. I think everyone was brutalized by bullies at some point in their lives. Those childhood experiences are especially hurtful. But they are never fun no matter how old you are. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is surprising to me how long those hurtful memories linger.

      Delete
  4. Children don't realize the harm they provoke. I laugh when classmates friend me even when we have had zero contact through our lives.They lost their group and need more to make them feel good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. I am sure that most of my former classmates do not even remember me.

      Delete
  5. nice sharing dear Emma i have some bad memories too from my school days but one thing that has always given me strength was my mom who used to tell me that people who bully you are insecure and have complex so to hide such feelings they show such negativity you must be proud of yourself that you are not one of them but especial who's presence is bothering them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mother was right. I like that your mother taught you about positive thinking.

      Delete
  6. So many bullies, and so many teachers and bosses who allow, or even encourage it. I hope light wins over darkness in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my hope too. Can you believe how many cases there are of adults in positions of authority who actively participate in picking on children?

      Delete
  7. Aw Emma, what a good read. Although it did bring back some 'unfun' times as the new kid in school (4 different towns). It must been a thing to 'set the new kid straight'. Yep, is despise bullies. We live thru it, but we shouldn't have to. Interesting entry. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now do not get me started on being the new kid. I was the "new kid" at 9 different schools. That is a tough one.

      Delete