Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Easy For You To Say


We missed it. International tongue twister day was Sunday.

A tongue twister as a phrase that when said quickly (often three times) causes you to say it wrong. Most of the time the result is funny. Sometimes it can be colorful or even a bit off color.

Tongue twisters can be difficult for me because I have an ever so slight lisp. I did not even know I had it until I was in college and an instructor suggested I might benefit from speech therapy. So dealing with a lot of "s" words make me self-conscious now.

I will give you a few of my favorite tongue twisters. See if you can say them with no mistakes.

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.
A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked.
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers,
Where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?

 Mares eat oats and does eat oats,
and little lambs eat ivy.
A Kid will eat ivy too, wouldn't ewe?

I'm not the pheasant plucker,
I'm the pheasant plucker's son,
but I'm busy plucking pheasants
till the pheasant plucker comes.

She sees cheese.

 A fly and flea flew into a flue,
said the fly to the flea 'what shall we do?'
'let us fly' said the flea
said the fly 'shall we flee'
so they flew through a flaw in the flue.

Betty Botter bought some butter but, said she, the butter's bitter.
If I put it in my batter, it will make my batter bitter.
But a bit of better butter will make my bitter batter better.
So she bought some better butter, better than the bitter butter,
put it in her bitter batter, made her bitter batter better.
So 't was better Betty Botter bought some better butter.

She sells sea shells by the sea shore. But if She sells sea shells by the sea shore then where are the sea shells She sells?

Rugged rubber baby buggy bumpers.

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear,
Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair,
Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't fuzzy,
was he?

A Tudor who tooted the flute
tried to tutor two tooters to toot.
Said the two to the tutor,
"Is it harder to toot or
to tutor two tooters to toot?"

A big black bug bit a big black bear and made the big black bear bleed blood.

Six thick thistle sticks

Moses supposes his toeses are roses.
But Moses supposes erroneously.
Moses, he knowses his toeses aren't roses
As Moses supposes his toeses to be.

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
He would chuck all the wood a woodchuck could
If a woodchuck could chuck wood

A certain young fellow named Beebee
Wished to marry a lady named Phoebe
"But," he said. "I must see
What the minister's fee be
Before Phoebe be Phoebe Beebee"

Do you have a favorite?

10 comments:

  1. Peter Piper is my favourite. I smiled as I read all of these, Emma. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always happy to put a smile on someone's face.

      Delete
  2. It was hard to even read some of these tongue twisters Emma, and many were familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was the only one. I felt silly trying to untie my tongue after it tangled from something I read.

      Delete
  3. I had two speech impediments as a child--I stuttered, and I couldn't pronounce certain letters--and I still have enough trouble making myself understood saying ordinary sentences that it would freak me out to even attempt a tongue twister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was fortunate about my lisp. I did not even know I did it and no one ever pointed it out to me. It is very slight so I am only aware of it sometimes. But I can see where you would hesitate to attempt these fun little games.

      Delete
  4. I remember some of these tongue twisters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun. My mother's favorite was Moses supposes...

      Delete
  5. I am not good at tongue twisters, Emma...but I love them just the same :)

    ReplyDelete