Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Attempted Stowaway


My son was here for another 48 hour pass from the halfway house. I am really enjoying him being here.

Once he arrives he has to call in to let them know he is here. Then they make random calls while he is here to make sure he is actually here.

Then when we are leaving to take him back he calls them to report that he is leaving to go back. As we were putting on our coats today he called them. We all then went to my vehicle for the ride to the halfway house.

My son got in the back. I got in to drive. My older son went to the passenger's side to get in and the boys started to laugh.

I had no idea what the joke was so I just sat there with a dumb look on my face. My son opened the door and in hurled this big furry thing.

I put my arm up to block it from scrambling into the back as it rushed through the truck.

That was when I got a good look at it. It was the neighbor's dog. Apparently he wanted a ride.

My son pulled him out of the truck. He rushed back in before my son could stop him. I was able to keep him from escaping to the back yet again. I guess he knew that was where he should ride.

My son managed to get him out again. The dog was struggling to jump in again but my son managed to hold him down a little. He was certainly enthusiastic.

Finally my son managed to get in without the dog and closed the door. We all sat and laughed for a few minutes.

When we were finally ready to back out and begin our journey we did not know where the dog was. The boys saw him on their side of the vehicle. I suddenly saw him run in front of the truck and around my side. I had no idea where he was and did not want to back over him.

We looked and looked but would not open a door because we could not take a chance on him lunging into the truck again. Finally we saw him across the street where his master was working in his shop.

We left without our attempted stowaway. He was persistent though.

12 comments:

  1. Have you taken him with you before? If not, he must be accustomed to driving with his owner and obviously loves it. An open door is an invitation to that fellow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have not taken him before. I am sure his owner does take him along. He was so insistent on getting in and going for a ride. Quick too. My son barely made it in without the dog.

      Delete
  2. Poor dog! I guess he liked you guys, liked to ride, and was bored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was determined to get in for sure. It is the kind of light-hearted incident that makes life fun and funny.

      Delete
  3. Our new rescue dog Hook LOVES to ride and he will knock you down trying to get into the car.
    This was a fun post. So glad your son is getting to spend time with you.
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not yet figured out how the dog could wag his whole body the whole time he was jumping in and out of the truck. He was a constant source of movement. Maybe he should be harnessed for energy?

      Delete
  4. I'm not frightened of dogs, Emma, but I want them to "behave" - meaning: their masters have to look after him, especially if he is a big dog. Is the dog visiting you often at home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a medium sized dog on the large size of medium. He does not visit us. I think occasionally he comes over to sniff around in our yard but that is no problem. He simply saw that we were going for a ride and decided he was going too.

      Delete
  5. Emma, my research has concluded that, at some point in their evolution, dogs were hit with a big genetic goofystick and have never stood on ceremony since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your research must be correct. It is an apt description.

      Delete
  6. This was a fun post, Emma. Let us know if the neighbor's dog returns for a ride again. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete