Thursday, May 30, 2024

Last of the Line

My youngest nephew is getting married. It is wonderful news. We also have another reason to rejoice. 

My father wanted his part of the family line to continue. Several of his children have children and so on. But none have the same last name. 

I had 4 brothers. Two of them never had children before they died. Another has a son. He has the last name. However my nephew has a daughter whose children will carry the same name as their father.

So this final nephew belongs to my youngest brother. Same last name. If he has sons they will carry the family name. My father would be happy. 

The really strange thing is that this nephew was born years after my father died. He looks so much like my father. Maybe a son would look like him. That would make it even better.

We just found out that my nephew and his wife are expecting a son!!!! Daddy would be ecstatic.




8 comments:

  1. As an amateur genealogist, I fully understand your father's hope for his YDNA line. I also feel that strongly about my mitochondrial DNA line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying learning about both lines of my heritage. Some of the names I have come across are really interesting. For instance I wonder why someone would name a son Supply.

      Delete
  2. I am happy for your whole family! How neat it is to find out that the family name will be carried on!

    ReplyDelete


  3. thecontgemplativecat here. We have two girls and one boy as our progeny, who have given us 7 gr-kids. Only 2 boys will carry the dad's name. It doesn't seem as important now as it was in decades past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true. All of the grandchildren who knew him revered my father. The man himself will never be forgotten.

      Delete
  4. What wonderful news for your family, Emma, and sure your father would be elated to know the line will continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daddy loved us all. He just wanted his part of the family name to continue. Now it will.

      Delete