Sunday, April 14, 2024

Sew Sew

 I do not sew. When I was a child my mother taught me to do embroidery which I also cannot do.

We had a sewing machine. It was the old kind operated by a treadle made by pumping it with your feet. I often used it to repair clothing. 

I also attempted to make clothes using it. I would be pumping the treadle and picking up a little speed when suddenly I made a mistake. I am naturally a calm and collected person. But I have been known to throw a tantrum and rip the cloth from the machine. The needle attached to the machine would come with it.

At school the 7th grade girls were required to take one semester of home economics. We learned to wash our hair, change our underwear daily, and arrange cut flowers. They also taught us to make a cake from scratch. Then we had to make a skirt.

The pattern for the skirt was simple. We cut a circle from our material then made a waist with a zipper.

 When I finished by hemming the skirt one side was at my ankle. The other side was just below my hip. How did that happen?

My 3 sons and my daughter all take care of mending their own clothes. My stitches do not hold. 

My mother, both of my sisters, and my daughter could all sew. It is not fair. But I am really good at changing my underwear.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. As I said I do not have the patience. I wish I did.

      Delete
  2. what an interesting post dear Emma :)
    i feel so embarrassed when i think of past when my mom tried hard to make me sew or do embroidery ,i simply couldn't only i did not want to sadly .
    you seem like me lol
    but yes one thing that after building new house we lacked money so badly and i had to sew my own and kids clothes for two years at least and guess what i could do correctly ,it was matter of interest only surprisingly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You discovered my secret. I really do not care about sewing. I do not care about fashionable clothes. Most of the tasks I cannot accomplish or do well are because I am not interested.

      Delete
  3. I sew because I sometimes quilt. However, I really don't enjoy it as much as I used to. I feel that way about cooking and baking, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say that I used to love to cook and bake. I no longer have much interest. I still cook but I am not as adventurous as I once was. And my baking is more funamental. I have some cheesy biscuits in a baggy in the fridge. I will have them tonight with the chili I am going to make.

      Delete
  4. And I also do not sew. My mother did and she would do alterations for me when I was living at home. I can sew on a button and make a quick repair only. My excuse is that the Catholic school I attended did not have practical courses like sewing or home economics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom tried to teach me and I had that one semester at school. It was not my thing I guess.

      Delete