Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Remembrance

 I watched the ceremony marking 25th anniversary of the attacks of September 11. It was beautiful and very moving.

The event was of course somber. Remembering so many souls who are now gone is by nature sad.

It began with the National anthem. Then a cello player began to play. It was background music and other musicians traded into his place as the ceremony progressed.

There were family members of those who died on September 11 had been chosen to read the names of the victims. Two would read a number of the names. Then they would talk briefly about the person they represented. On to the next two people. They would do the next names.

At the end they played Taps. It is the most heart-wrenching music ever.

The whole process took at least 3 hours. It was so touching.

One thing I noticed about the names is that they represented people from all over the world. I could not tell what specific countries people were from but all continents were there in the names. The whole world was affected.

It made me realize that we can only blame the people who wanted to damage and terrorize everyone else. Not one specific nationality, government, or religion. Luckily I know people from many of the groups I mentioned so I knew enough to make a decision about individuals and not groups.

The tragedy brought the entire world together. I fervently wish we had stayed together.

6 comments:

  1. 9/11, of course, has become history.
    So have the days after.

    But history tells us not stories.

    They are wake-up calls and painful lessons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow we never seem to learn those lessons. However you are completely right.

      Delete
  2. I hope someday this country can come together over something positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. But why stop there? We could have a whole world to love.

      Delete
  3. I attended a funeral service with a cello playing and it was extremely beautiful. It is sad to think how divided our country is now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was sober day for all of the country. So many Americans are protesting and doing hateful things. Scary.

    ReplyDelete