Saturday, August 22, 2026

Hidden Treasure

I hate doing dishes. I mean I really hate doing dishes.

My family built a new house when I was 15 years old. Once it was built we settled into our normal routines.

My sister and I did the dishes. I convinced Mom to let me do the weekly laundry for a family of nine on Saturdays. On Saturdays I did not have to do dishes. And remember (this included diapers) all were washed in a wringer washer and hung on a line to dry.

Monday was the day to iron all those clothes. I happily did that instead of dishes on Monday.

When I did have to wash dishes I started with lots of bubbles in hot water. Glasses and cups were first to be cleaned. For a few minutes I had fun with the bubbles. Bowls, plates, and saucers came next. I lost interest quickly. By the time the dirty pots and pans came wanting a bath I no longer wanted to be there.

I often tried to hide them so I did not have to wash them. Mom always found the dirty skillet in the oven or the sticky pan in the cupboard behind the bag of flour.

One item she never found was one dirty cookie sheet. There was just enough room in the basement under the furnace.

If new owners have not needed to replace the furnace it is still there.

That was more than 60 years ago. I often wonder about that cookie sheet.

8 comments:

  1. You really did dislike doing dishes, Emma and how funny that you hid the dirty pots and pans and that cookie sheet. I don't mind doing dishes, but would rather not do laundry. Of course, I do both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather enjoy doing laundry. I only miss ironing a little bit.

      Delete
  2. You wrote one of the absurd series. Dishwashing is a daily routine for me. It is as normal as thinking wild in Wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still hate doing dishes. Thank goodness for machines that do the job now.

      Delete
  3. this was amusing lol
    my younger sister hated to do anything in the house chores
    i don' if i liked doing dishes or not but i remember so well i would absolutely love to do anything to help mom :)
    at this part of age i don't like doing chores but i have to do because i don't hire domestic help for personal reasons :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate doing dishes. From the time before I was old enough for school I helped with many of the household chores. My favorite was cooking. Mom agreed that I made the best bread. We argued over who made the best pie crust. Since I was the oldest I helped a lot because Mom was always busy with babies. I never resented it because that is the way it works in large families. But I hated doing dishes.

      Delete
  4. Oh, that cookie sheet makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think of it often. I wonder if anyone ever found it.

      Delete