Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Melting Teeth


When my youngest brother was little he had a problem with his teeth. They looked like acid had been dripping down them and they were melting away. They were all brown and snaggled.

The dentist would not do anything with them because they were his baby teeth. One of his favorite things to do was to brush his teeth. He said it made them feel better.

When his baby teeth fell out the new teeth were beautiful. He is still the only person I know who likes going to the dentist.

He grew up and married and had two daughters and a son. His second daughter had the same problem with her teeth. As soon as her dentist saw the buds of her new teeth start to grow he pulled her bad teeth.

Then my sister had two sons. Her youngest had the same thing with his teeth. Again his dentist advised against pulling his teeth. Poor little guy loved to brush his teeth and rinse them with a mild mouthwash. It eased the pain. 

He was a bit older when he finally lost his baby teeth. He had bald gums for several years. We thought he was never going to get his permanent teeth. The dentist said they were in there but they did not come out.

When my nephew was about ten years old the dentist said he might have to cut the gums to make it easier for his teeth to come through. Then they burst out on their own.

All of them have beautiful straight teeth now. And we still do not know why their teeth did that. 

7 comments:

  1. I believe that dental issues are hereditary, Emma. My mother had issues with her teeth as do I and my brother despite frequent visits to the dentist over the years. Glad to read your family's dental issues worked out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you are right. None of us have good teeth.

      Delete
  2. Dental problems are among the most difficult for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I had an unfortunate experience as a child and have had a severe aversion ever since.

      Delete
  3. This is not about teeth. I was wondering whether you have been affected by the same rains that have caused the flood in Rock Valley? (Here’s a stranger-than-fiction moment. Since my first sentence included the word teeth, the predictive text (which I hate) changed the word flood to flossing.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are surrounded by water. As a matter of fact my son and I live close to the Big Sioux River. We had to run a quick errand across the river yesterday. The river was slightly high when we crossed into South Dakota. Coming home about 20 minutes later we barely made it. The river had flooded the fields and was flowing across the road carrying whole rows of crops with it. It all happened so fast. We were lucky to make it.

      Delete
  4. I agree with Dorothy dear Emma that problem you shared seems hereditary. I am not familiar with such tooth disease.
    I am thankful that all of them had lovely and straight teeth afterwards .
    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete