Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Plumbing

Remember outhouses? They were the little buildings a person would visit to eliminate waste from the body. Every home had one. After all everyone had waste to eliminate.

I hope to never have to use an outhouse again. They are cold in the winter. They are hot in the summer. They always stink.

Most of them were little wooden structures behind the house... quite a ways behind. Inside was a wooden bench with a hole in it to deposit eliminations. Some were fancier than others. On the farm my grandparents' outhouse had three holes along with a little one off to the side for smaller members of the family. 

Toilet paper was considered a luxury. Every year the mail order companies mailed big thick catalogues for people to order goods. Most of the catalogues ended up in the outhouse to use to clean oneself. 

In order to keep the accumulation of eliminations down lime would be poured generously occasionally. I think that may have smelled worse than a normal day out there.

Halloween made targets of outhouses. Teenagers routinely tipped them over. It was difficult for the owner to set it right again.

My father heard a rumor one year that our outhouse was the target. He and my brothers moved it forward so that anyone who tried to tip it over would instead end up in what was under the outhouse. No one showed up.

I do remember one year as we were driving home a bunch of high school boys were busy hauling someone's outhouse to the main intersection of town.

My father-in-law decided it was time to change the location of their outhouse.  He was also in a bit of an ornery mood. There was no door on the outhouse. So he set it up facing the highway. Anyone driving by could see what you were doing. My mother-in-law made him fix it.

I do have one funny story about outhouses but that will come at another time. Right now I want you to understand why I hate outhouses with a passion. I want indoor plumbing..

8 comments:

  1. I remember outhouses at my relative's farms. Plus, my mother made me take my 11 year younger sister to the outhouse to be sure she didn't fall in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to never have to use one again. Using an outhouse is the only thing I hate more than doing dishes.

      Delete
    2. thecontemplativecat here/ Outhouses. We lived in a small town until I was 6. We ran all over that town, and we knew which houses had the best outhouses. We moved out to the farm, and had our own outhouse, for a year or so. So many stories, Emma. So many.

      Delete
    3. It is true there are many stories about outhouses. I still hate them.

      Delete
  2. New term for me dear Emma but got what they were for.
    I'm my childhood people of village would go fields instead and the mud was used instead soap to wash hands.
    The simple toilet without flushing system were built soon when I was 8 or 9 almost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People make use of what is available. I just hate the outhouses so much.

      Delete
  3. Thankfully, Emma, my childhood home had indoor plumbing so no outhouse use. I can understand your aversion to them and I have the same feeling about portable toilets, which to me seem the same thing.

    ReplyDelete