Thursday, October 5, 2023

Leg Children

I have long said that my four children were leg children. By that I mean that often when we were in public or an unfamiliar place they would grab my leg and hold on. They were never far from me in most instances.

I must say that at times it was annoying trying to move around with children constantly under my feet. At the same time it was comforting to know that they trusted me to protect them.

As they grew and discovered the outside world of school and other activities they gradually moved away from my legs. At the same time I tried to always be available if they needed me.

Now they are all grown. Most have children of their own and one even has grandchildren. They are good parents with not a leg child in the bunch. All are very loved.

One day at lunch with my sister-in-law I was chuckling about my leg children. She began to chuckle too. Then she told me that my husband was one of all the leg children of my mother-in-law. I guess my children inherited it from their father.

10 comments:

  1. Χαίρομαι που είσαι ευτυχισμένη με τα παιδιά και τα εγγόνια σου!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thecontemplativecat here. you are the 6th person I have commented on. I remember the leg hugs at c church potluck. 3 yer old chldren hugged their moms from behind. the dresses were billowed around them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that a long time ago when children were in unfamiliar situations they would cling to their mother's skirt for protection. They were not as social outside the home as children are now.

      Delete
  3. I read the term "leg children" for the first time, Emma. But one of the "twins" of the triplets does that too with my leg, when there are many (unknown) people around. Not easy to move that way, haha - then she comes to my hand - but now I have a name for it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Imagine four children clinging to your leg. Your little one feels safe with you. Wonderful.

      Delete
  4. This was a new term to me, Emma, as I had never heard of leg children but in thinking about it have seen photos of young children clinging to their parents this way. I am sure that while it might have been difficult to maneuver, your children did indeed feel safe and sure you were very nearby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I made up the term just to ne cute. They did actually hold my legs though.

      Delete
  5. You reminded me my childhood dear Emma when I would hold the corner of my mother 's shirt (long traditional one) or part of her shawl while walking in the market.
    I saw some other children doing same.
    Sounds you were not a leg child: (

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depended upon the situation for me. I was as likely to hide behind my father as my mother. I knew they would protect me.

      Delete