Saturday, May 13, 2023

Biography

 I love to read. What other activity provides you with adventure, knowledge, travel, personal interaction, and the ability to know other people?

When I was a child the town we lived in had library. Each person in my family had a library card. We all checked out 3 books at a time because that was the limit. Sometimes we went a couple of times a week.

Eventually we read all the books in the library. I did not read them all because not all were age appropriate. But as a family we read them all.

Periodically the library would order new books. When they were delivered the librarian would call us to let us know. We read all those new books before most people knew they were available.

I read Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys. I read almost anything I could get my hands on.

I do not want it to sound like we stayed in the house all the time. We were normal active children. But we all loved to read.

I still do. For the last few years my passion is biographies. I really enjoy knowing what people felt about the times they lived. I have learned why our country was founded. I have learned about the reasons for our Civil War from both sides. 

So read a book. If you want to go to Rome a book will take you there and show you the sights. What an adventure.

10 comments:

  1. Dear Emma, I like this post very much!
    Reading gives such a pleasure - and yes, as a child and later I was an eager library user.
    Biographies are enticing for me now too - much more than two decades ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is that I will read anything you give me but biographies are my favorite.

      Delete
  2. thecontemplativecat here. I read incessantly when I was in elementary school. As time has gone along, reading became harder with time contraints. Now I am involved in WW2 books by Matthew Rozell. The Things that Our fathers saw, and it is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only things I do not read are abour VietNam. t is still too raw.

      Delete
  3. As soon as we could print out names, our father took us to the library to get a library card. We went most every week, and checked out as many books as we could. I wish I could remember the limit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We lived in a small town which is why the limit was 3.

      Delete
  4. I love reading too, and visits to the library as a young child. My mom was a librarian there and guess what career I chose? Yup, librarian. It is fun to enter other worlds by reading books. I read most genres including biographies and memoirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations. You have chosen a noble career. I read them all too.

      Delete
  5. thecontemplativecat here. Going to the library was a thrilling experience for me. Reading was and still is a pleasure. Right now I am reading books by Matthew Rozell, on WW2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWII is still a little new for me. Any of the newer wars are too disturbing for me to deal with.

      Delete