Tuesday, March 3, 2020

My Son And Grandson



As I told you my son and grandson were in a car accident. This is the car.

My son was cut out of the car. Then they dragged my grandson through the driver's side of the car.
Both were unconscious.

My son had 6 broken ribs. Both of his arms were broken. Both of his legs were broken. There are several compression fractures in his back. And they are treating blood clots in his lungs.

He has had 4 surgeries to repair and anchor bonnes in his limbs. One wrist and one ankle required surgery. He is full of metal plates and screws.

My son was in ICU for a week and a half. He is beginning to mend.

Right now he is waiting to be transferred to a medical care facility. He will continue his healing there. When he is ready he will be transferred to a rehabilitation facility to begin physical therapy. it will take some time.

My grandson was taken to the same hospital as my son. Once he was stabilized they transferred him to Children's Hospital. Even though he is bigger than a lot of men he is only 14 years old. His bones are still those of a child.

He had five breaks in one leg. Five hours of surgery and a metal plate and a bunch of screws later his leg is mending. He also has several compression fractures in his back. Several bones in his foot were broken and there is a pin to stabilize his toe.

My grandson has begun his physical therapy. He hopes to be out of the hospital in a couple of weeks. His MMA instructor is planning to supplement physical therapy with keeping his upper body exercises.

As you can see they are both lucky to be alive. Remember to let the people you care about know you love them. You just do not know when something terrible might happen.

I will still be mostly absent from blogging. Some things are more important.

15 comments:

  1. I have been through something similar and I know the pain and ups and downs that one goes through when horrible things happen. My heart and thoughts are with you and your family. Recovery may be long but it sounds like your son and grandson are on their way. Take care of yourself also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Emma, most everything in life is certainly more important than blogging. I say this in the kindest way and with sincerest best wishes that your son and grandson will fully heal in time. That healing will take much time based on your post and the photo of the vehicle. And, yes please do take care of yourself as it is just as hard on those family members who were not directly involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree some things are more important. Seeing that car I cannot believe that they were lucky to be alive. Take care, thoughts are with you, it is going to take lots of time. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what horror! God bless you all. God heal you. May God give you the strength you will need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is frightening. You take care of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry this happened to your family Come back when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a very good reminder! I am awfully sorry for the accidente, but happy that they are both alive, and getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for updating dear Emma

    i share your pain and sorrow deeply in my heart my friend !
    what makes both fortunate is that they did not get any head injury
    rest of others are comparatively easy to heal i believe
    i am glad that both are healing ,i wish them quick recover asap amen!!!!

    i want you to stay strong and have faith ,Lord has blessed them with another chance to live and i think this is relief for you and their other members of family
    vehicle image is dreadful indeed and this sounds true miracle indeed that they survived this accident
    i am sure sooner or later there will be time that they will be sitting along with you all and will share their hearts
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Emma

    here to learn that you are doing fine by the grace of Lord!

    little concerned as you did not show up for while ?
    i believe that this is due to family business my dear friend ,otherwise all is fine and you are feeling fine
    i hope your son and grand son are also recovering quickly Emma!
    please take care and stay safe and healthy
    love ,hugs!Prays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, the horror! I drove a rural ambulance during my teens and early twenties (this would have been in the sixties and early seventies). I had no training and no first-aid equipment. I seriously doubt that your son and grandson would have even survived the trip to the hospital due to their cerebral injuries.

    My thoughts are most certainly with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry! I hope they're on the mend now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thinking of you, and hoping all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, dear Lord. Keep calm and be the stone they need.

    ReplyDelete
  14. E' passato qualche mese e spero che adesso stiano entrambi meglio. Auguri di cuore dalla lontana Italia. Buon proseguimento e buona domenica.

    ReplyDelete