Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Makes You Pucker


I love pickles. Almost any kind. Dill, sweet, bread and butter, watermelon, jalapeno... I love them all and more. Pickled cabbage is sauerkraut. Love it.

I have never seen a baby who does not like pickles. The first taste might make a face but after that they beg for them. They are also good for teething. I think maybe the salt soothes gums.

I have a cousin who is 6 weeks younger than I am. I have only seen her a couple of times in my life.

The first time we were just babies. We were about nine months old. My aunt and her family were visiting my grandparents on the farm.

As with any family get-together there was lots of food. And all homemade. Grandma baked fresh bread every day. Grandpa grew potatoes and also cows for meat. Milk came from the cows. Vegetables grew in Grandma's garden. Jellies, jams, and pickles were homemade.

To keep us occupied someone gave my cousin and me each a dill pickle. We quietly gnawed on them until they were gone. Mom told me we ate a whole quart of pickles that day.

I keep pickles in my refrigerator. They make a good snack.

My daughter and granddaughters like pickles almost as much as I do. Because of them I used to keep gallon jars of pickles. I no longer do that.

 


18 comments:

  1. I make a lot of pickles as we also love them. Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have dill relish, sweet relish, dill chips, and bread-and-butter chips in our fridge at this very moment. My dad used to make pickles from the cucumbers from our garden. He used a big crockery butter churn to soak the little darlings in brine for several weeks at a time, as I recall.

    Do you remember the old song, "My ma gave me a nickel to buy a pickle; I didn't buy a pickle; I bought some chewing gum" followed by the chorus "Chew chew chew chew chew chewing gum,
    How I love chewing gum, I didn't buy a pickle, I bought some chewing gum." ??!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know that song. I like chewing gum too. Bubble gum is best.

      Delete
  3. Mom always made pickles on the south porch in a pickle crock. She showed me how to make bread-and-butter pickles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to help my mother make pickles but I do not make them myself. My job was usually preparing and not pickling.

      Delete
  4. Pickles were a treat when I grew up. I loved them till I didn’t. I think it had to do with pregnancy and morning/afternoon/evening sickness. I haven’t had one in 40 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry you can no longer enjoy pickles. I do understand the aversion. There is a certain brand of toilet paper that smelled disgusting when I was pregnant. It still does.

      Delete
  5. My parents put up pickles every year. They are a comfort food for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We also have a jar of pickles in the fridge as Grenville is more a fan than I am. I never knew that babies were so fond of them, Emma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I can go by is babies I have seen. They all loved the pickles.

      Delete
  7. my mother used to make many sort of pickles and they were permanent part of our lunch then

    mom was quite acknowledged appreciated for her pickle making among whole family so was grandma

    i can't eat pickles anymore since many years so no more pickle making

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had been able to have some of your mother's pickles.

      Delete
  8. I was in call at the paper today. I had lunch at a mom&pop sub shop. The sandwich came with two pickle spears.
    Yum!

    ReplyDelete