Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Rhapsody


Of course I am talking about Bohemian Rhapsody. It is the newly released movie about Queen. Actually it seems to be more about Freddie Mercury than the entire band.

I will say that I found the movie to be incomplete. However time constraints would be the reason. Two hours does not allow for delving into things in depth.

A lot of events were shown out of sequence. That also happens in a lot of movies.

Bohemian Rhapsody is about Freddie's personal life and how it affected the whole of Queen. The group comes together and begins to make that wonderful music they are known for. We even see the inspiration for some of the songs.

There are quarrels and camaraderie. Queen separates and comes back together. As they say several times they are a family.

The love story of Freddie and Mary Austin is one of the great love stories. A lot of time is spent on that. Mary was the one person Freddie trusted totally. She received the bulk of his estate when he died. He instructed her before his death to spread his ashes in a secret place and to tell no one where it was.

 The final concert they showed was Live Aid at Wembley Stadium. The movie implied that it was the last performance for Queen with all members but it was not. The movie made it seem as if Freddie died soon aftere which was also not the case.

I would have liked for them to touch on his friendship with the opera singer Montserrat Caballe who recently died. They made beautiful music together. Again we are dealing with the constraints of time.

I really enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody. Just to hear that marvelous music made it worth the price of admission. Even if sequences were not correct watching them compose and perfect their music was an education.

The actors who played the members of Queen were so good. Some of the resemblances are uncanny. The young man who played Brian May could have been a younger Brian May. Each of them had his character's mannerisms perfected.

There were several places in the movie that made me cry. But then I cried when Darth Vader died so I am not a good measure of that sort of thing.

Bohemian Rhapsody is a movie definitely worth seeing for any fan of Queen and their music.

11 comments:

  1. I hate it when movies take liberties with reality and invent an alternate one that people take as gospel. For instance, the younger generation, for the most part, believe that the events surrounding President Kennedy's assassination happened exactly as portrayed in that terrible movie. I'm sure there are lots of other examples. Queen was after my time but apparently not after yours. My children in their 50s know every word of Bohemian Rhapsody and the only thing I know is "Scaramouche"!....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my children are also in their 50's. We all like Queen. I love all kinds of music. I too know all the words to Bohemian Rhapsody.

      Delete
  2. It is here at our local village in a couple of weeks time and we plan to go and see it on the 25th. I am a huge Freddie fan. Enjoy your day, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will enjoy it. Take a hankie; there are some really touching scenes.

      Delete
  3. Such talent. We're looking forward to seeing most of the movie. We were Queen fans, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I finally found the missing photos and have posted them. Man, I hate wrestling with tech.

      Delete
    2. There are times when I feel as if technology is here simply to drive me crazy.

      Delete
  4. Admittedly, I was never a fan of the group, Queen, but our neighbors also saw and enjoyed the film as you did, Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds great movie dear Emma!

    i got through your words that you loved the band and this movie is close to your heart as it reveals the whole panorama of it

    glad you watched and felt connected to memories:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freddie Mercury was a fascinating person. He was Parsi. He made several recordings of all sorts of music including rock and roll, disco, gospel, and even opera. So very talented.

      Delete