Friday, June 2, 2017

Gone

It was a busy holiday weekend for me. My age tends to show when there is so much going on. I was tired and needed to rest a couple of days when it was over.

Of course you have read about my sister-in-law taking a fall. We did check on her and her children made sure she was taken care of.

My son was busy getting his things more organized than he usually has them. And he is very organized. He was getting ready to move on.

He has had a monitoring device since he left the halfway house to come stay here. It was removed Friday. He was happy to be able to move around freely. With the tether on he had to have permission to go anywhere. Usually he had a time limit of 4 hours and then he had to be home.

And of course he had to report periodically for drug testing. It is standard procedure for all prisoners. Technically he was a prisoner allowed to stay in another place. I was surprised they did not send out the person who makes unannounced home visits for one last check. He did not come.

The counselor at the halfway house made sure my son had a refill on his medication. He called the pastor of the church my son helped with work while he was in town. The counselor asked her if she could help my son get a pair of dress pants and dress shoes to go with his suit jacket that she had previously given him.

She was happy to help. She made sure to arrive while my son was having the monitor removed. She wanted to personally say goodbye. She is a nice lady.

Then we had some furniture to move around. We only have two bedrooms. Because he had to have a room of his own I was glad to give him my room for the duration. We set an extra bed in the living room for me. That is now gone and a sofa is back in its place.

My daughter and her husband came down from the big city. Both of their children had to work. I wish they could have come too.

We spent a day visiting cemeteries again. We also went sightseeing a bit too. Then there was a day we spent visiting with my sister-in-law. My daughter had not seen her aunt for a long time. My nieces were visiting their mother so we spent a pleasant afternoon together.

Then came the day I dreaded and knew was coming. My daughter and her husband went home. My son went with them.

I knew from the beginning that he would not be here forever. His children are where he is going. Oddly enough children beat out moms every time.

So now it is just my oldest son and me again. With the dog of course. I will miss the kids and hope that they will be able to visit again sooner rather than later.

16 comments:

  1. Family is everything, wish you and yours great health and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart aches for you. I know you will adjust, but still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I will adjust. One of the things a good parent does is to let go. It is probably the hardest part of being a parent and yet the most rewarding.

      Delete
  3. I believe our status is older than the ages, Emma. Look to your friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My life is full. I have no complaints. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. I feel with you, Emma - although one knows they have to leave eventually, one yet misses them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be so much easier if they were not 800 miles away.

      Delete
  5. Best wishes to your son, Emma. You take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. He has seen two of his three children. The third is on vacation with her mother. He began a new job today. So far so good.

      Delete
    2. You must be happy about this news in spite of your own sadness at his leaving.

      Delete
    3. I am. Things are going well for him so far.

      Delete
  6. That last bit was difficult to read. I'm sorry.

    I read this today and it reminded me of what you are doing with your family tree. It is so important what you do and what and whom you write about. I hope you enjoy reading it. Confession! I am biased, she is one of my favourite writers.

    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/jun/03/hilary-mantel-why-i-became-a-historical-novelist

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you're son will do well.
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He needs to that's for sure.
      His children need him.

      Delete