Friday, October 28, 2016

A Visit Home


My son is still in the halfway house until the end of next month. Then he will come stay with us. I am so looking forward to him being here.

I have been picking him up and taking him to appointments. Some are medical. Others are to get his financial business up to date.

It is a hectic time for me. It is a 25 mile drive there and a 25 mile drive home after I drop him off. I am certainly not complaining because I am so happy to spend any time I can with him. But I am not young any more and I do get tired.

Last weekend he had a pass for each of the two days for eight hours each day. He was able to come home and get used to being here.

I see him starting to relax a bit more each time I see him. He does not constantly feel like he has to be on his guard. I hope to see the tension in him lessen and eventually disappear but that may be too much to ask.

So my son called this evening. They are giving him a pass for the entire weekend. He will be able to sleep in his bed and have some privacy. He will have his own TV if he does not like what we are watching.

He has no idea how much I have been waiting for him to be home. He still feels like a visitor. I was gratified the other day when he finally went to the refrigerator and helped himself to a bottle of water.

As I said he is relaxing a bit.

21 comments:

  1. It must be difficult for both of you...but I can hear in your words how much you love him and want him home.
    The adjustments will take more than a few hours, a few days or a few months...but with the love between the two of you, in no time you will both feel right at home again.
    You have every right to feel tired, Emma. I am sure that I would feel the same.
    The very to you, your son and your family 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry...my tablet removed the word "best" from my last sentence 💟

      Delete
    2. Thank you. My son is like all of my children... a good person. I have been enjoying his company.

      Delete
  2. Wishing only the best for everyone, Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be hard to adjust it sounds,wish him the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see the tension in him. Prison is not meant to be a good experience I suppose. But he is a strong person and will overcome. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. I feel the happiness in all you write, Emma, and I wish you both all the best!!! Take your time, both, and enjoy that you are together again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad he's coming home. All will be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a nice visit this time. I am looking forward to him being here all the time.

      Delete
  6. There so much positive love, understanding and compassion in your post --this will ease adjustments all around and give onto a happy future. My compliments and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the wishes. Love in our family has never been in question. I want the adjustment to be easy as possible for him.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad your son is coming home. I wish the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh dear
    throughout your whole post i felt i am reading myself .
    its been six years that my son is living in the city far from us at almost eight hours drive away .
    since two years he is on job and we are hardly able to see him on some yearly festivals when government gives the holidays .

    we see him through Skype and that is what i am so grateful of new technology .
    hope you see your dear son very soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard to not be able to see your children any time you want to. I know that in my mind they are still little ones. I can see that they are grown and I am proud of them but they will always be my babies.

      Delete
  9. In time I am certain that things will become easier for your son, Emma. It surely must be quite a re-adjustment after being confined to be able to walk outdoors and even to the refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He actually has more freedom right now than he will when he is here all the time. Then they will fit him with a tether and he will be more restricted than he is now. He will still have to have permission to go to the store or the doctor. But he will still be able to go out into the yard and enjoy the weather.

      Delete