Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Thankful


This week we in the United States celebrate Thanksgiving. Traditionally it is to commemorate the pilgrims being thankful for making it through an especially hard winter.

The tradition tells us that the Indians showed the Pilgrims how to fertilize the seeds they planted by planting fish with them. Because the Indians were so helpful they were invited to a feast to give thanks for the bounty of the harvest.

There were many Thanksgiving days held sporadically over the years. Finally President Franklin Delano Roosevelt proclaimed the 4th Thursday in November to be a national holiday celebrated every year.

For some it is a religious holiday. For most of us it is a day to gather the family together to over-eat a magnificently scrumptious meal. I love Thanksgiving meals. Mmmmmm.

But I do try to reflect on those things for which I am thankful. There are many.

I am thankful for my children. The only thing that has given me greater joy in my life is my grandchildren. I am so thankful for them.

I am thankful for the family I was born into. I had such wonderful parents and I loved all of my brothers and sisters. I am thankful that I can now love their children and grandchildren.

I am thankful for the family I married into. I cannot imagine being more accepted and loved by people who did not have to love me.

I am even thankful for the father of my children. He was a remarkable person and even though I no longer wanted to be married to him I miss him now that he is gone.

I am thankful that I am reasonably healthy. Many people my age have begun to deteriorate and have scary health conditions.  I am fortunate.

I am thankful for indoor plumbing. It may sound like nothing to most but I often lived without it when I was growing up and I never want to do it again.

I am thankful for the peace in my life. I wish it for everyone.

I am thankful that I am a happy person. I have so much to be happy about that it would be a shame to waste by being unhappy.

These are but a few but they are probably the most important. What are you thankful for?


2 comments:

  1. Late in reading this post, Emma, but enjoyed reading your list of what you are most thankful for. In addition to being thankful for family, my greatest thanks is for friendships. I have been fortunate to have kept friends stretching back many years and even though we do. Ot see each other often, our bonds remain strong through communication with phone calls, emails, cards and letters. Then, there are the blog friends who we have met in person during some road trips. And, the other bloggers who I have met through their blog posts and have become friends through correspondence. You are one of the special people I hope to kne day meet on a future road trip. Thank you for sharing the stories of your life and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am honored to be considered your friend. It would indeed be nice to meet in person. Friends are a treasure that needs to be constantly polished in order to shine.

      Delete