Friday, July 4, 2014

Patriotic


I have just been watching an episode of Gene Simmons Family Jewels. Yes I am a fan of KISS. And I like waching this reality show even though in most cases it is obvious that it is heavily scripted,

This particular episode evoked some strong emotions and rather surprised me. I am a patriot. Isn't that interesting?

I was hit by the fact that I love my country. I live in a great country that is part of a great world.

I so often complain about the stupidity and pettiness of politicians that I lose sight of that fact. Politicians seem to be constantly trying to further their own agendas. If that comes at the expense of other agendas or the expense of us "little people", so what? Do they care?

But for today I am going to put politicians and politics out of my mind. I am going to enjoy my country. I am going to be thankful for all the people who have worked to make my country a great one.

I am going to try to put aside my bitterness and pain that is caused because of all the people who have had their lives taken because they loved people like me enough to try to make my country better and safer. Today at least I will try to celebrate their lives and honor their deaths.

Tomorrow I will feel free to criticize those who try their best to ruin my world. I will keep working to make my part of the world better.

But today I will have selective amnesia. Thank you to all those past and present who have given me the freedom to live the way I live. Sorrow and gratitude for those who lost their lives doing so. Today I am nothing but a patriot.

4 comments:

  1. "I will keep working to make my part of the world better." Emma, when we all do that we'll be citizens of the world. Humans can be be a great species. They want to be. It takes time, and the simple solution you set out is the correct one. Happy 4th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Independence Day to you, Geo. So many have sacrificed to allow me to voice my opinions. That alone shows that we can be great if we try.

      Delete
  2. You have said it well, Emma. Independence Day is one to forget and forgive for at least 24 hours...but most importantly to remember and give thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is important to remember that with all its faults our country is still the greatest country in the world. What other country would allow me to loudly disagree with the things I do not like?

      Delete