Tuesday, October 16, 2018

A White World


When I woke up this morning I felt so comfy in my flannel nightgown in my nice warm bed. The nights have been quite cold this past week. At or below freezing several nights.

When I went to bed last night I heard the comforting sound of rain on the roof. It soothed me to sleep.

When I looked out the window the leaves on the trees looked like they were covered with large cotton balls. The weatherman tried to tell me the night before that we would get snow. I thought maybe a few flurries would come before I awoke.

It turns out that we have had our first snowfall of the year. Between 1 and 2 inches of snow covers everything.  The plants are all covered with mounds of white.

And a glorious snow it is. It is suitably heavy and wet. Good for snowmen and snowballs.

Unfortunately it is melting quickly. With each breeze more snow falls from the trees. At times it looks like a heavy snow is falling. Still it clings to the leaves. It will take some time for the trees to be rid of all the snow. They have only just begun to turn from green into beautiful fall colors. 

I have read that the almanac predicts a hard winter. I hope it is wrong.

It certainly is pretty though.

12 comments:

  1. I remember how magical the first snow was each year. I'm a little jealous right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was completely gone by the next day. For a first snow it was quite unusual.

      Delete
  2. Oh, how I do not want a hard winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes two of us. And I do not live at the top of a hill.

      Delete
  3. I love watching it snow as long as it's not too deep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I do not have to be out in it I like to watch it.

      Delete
  4. The first snowfall is indeed magical, Emma, and I will be looking forward to it...just not yet. Going to sleep while it's raining out is always restful for me, unless it's too heavy. I heard we had a lot of wind last night and our windchimes were clanking, but I slept through everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snow! When I was little, we would all go out and dance in the snow. By Feb., the joy was over.

    We had rain last week. I left the window open so I could hear and smell the rain. No danger of blow in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never lived anywhere where it snows. I saw my first snow at the age of 11. I'd love to have a 'real' winter just once on my life so I know what you all talk about :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy the changing seasons. As I get older though I worry about slipping and falling.

      Delete